1.05.2012

T-Sizzle Takes On Football's Hey-Zeus (Plus Wild Card Picks)

First off, calling Tim Tebow Jesus is blasphemous, and all the references to him performing miracles is even worse.  Second, his team has been as bad as it has been good, he didn't turn around the organization. The guy he replaced came back and beat them and if the Raiders had won they wouldn't have made the playoffs.  But at 8-8 they have made the playoffs and will face an injured Steelers team in Denver.  Nothing in my football mind can allow me to pick them to win this weekend.  Actually as a quick run down, I'm picking the Steelers over the Broncos by 12, the Bengals over the Texans in a close game decided by field goals, The Saints over the Lions in a shoot out where the last TD wins, the Falcons over the Giants by 4 points.  The NFC games were there toughest to pick for me, I wouldn't bet money on any of those games they could go either way and not be an upset.  The only upset would be the Broncos beating the Steelers, well the Ravens & Patriots wouldn't be upset about that one.
OK so now to the title of this post. I read some comments that Terrell Suggs aka T-Sizzle of the Ravens had to say about Tim Tebow in the playoffs.  They were very entertaining but also had a lot of weight/truth behind them.  I don't blame Tebow for any of this the media has made his simple actions way bigger than they would have been with anyone else and I think T-Sizzle is just responding to this character that the media has built up and I'm sure if he knew Tebow as a person her wouldn't be attacking his actions.  Read below for his comments copied from ESPN's AFC North Blog written by Jamison Hensley.
Asked by Skip Bayless for his take on Tebow, Suggs said, “He’s all right. He’s all right. Come on now, let’s be honest, Skip. I can put up the numbers he was [putting up]. It’s all about numbers, baby. Give me a shot. Let’s see what we can do, create my own offense and hopefully my kicker can nail a 62-yarder to bail me out a few times, Jesus shows up."

Suggs added, "That boy be praying on the sidelines, boy. I don’t feel comfortable [if] I’ve got to pray every fourth quarter like, ‘Oh my God, please come save me again.’ Let’s just go out there and win the game.”

Suggs then took a shot at Tebow's religious persona. "With all due respect, we don't pray on the sideline," he said. "We do -- we give it up to God to keep us safe and healthy. When our quarterback prays, he's like, 'God, sit on the couch and enjoy this. Thank you for blessing me and letting me wake up and play this game. I'm going to impress you.'"

Bayless pointed out that Tebow went 7-4 as a starter and led the Broncos to the AFC West title.
"He didn’t win the AFC West," Suggs said. "Oakland lost it."
So, would Suggs rather have Joe Flacco or Tebow as his quarterback?
“Are you kidding me? Why don’t you like my quarterback, Skip? Is it his mustache? Is it his eyebrows? Is it because Tim Tebow is prettier?” Suggs said. “I understand you’ve got your man crush but you can’t force that on the rest of us. We here in Baltimore, we’ve got a quarterback that fits our personality. … I love the kid. He plays football. He’s my quarterback. I stand by him. And I love him on the sidelines with the ice in his veins. I just feel awesome about him.”
Back to my opinion, nothing is wrong with praying, or praying publicly, its actually a great testament of faith.  But pray to be safe, pray for strength, pray for health, pray for an injured player, I don't think praying to win a game is something a professional should do. Its a game, its not life.  If your life was on the line if you didn't win, then yes, please pray.  But a game is just a game at the end of the day, if everyone stays healthy then they go on to play another game and continue to get paid.  If Tebow is praying for wisdom in tough situations, then I greatly applaud that.  At the end of the day its between him and God, and I can only blame the media for making a simple gesture of faith by an overrated player into such a big deal.  Personally I think this is a great chess move by Terrell Suggs, but Tebow doesn't listen to any chatter that hits the media or if he does he doesn't let it effect him.  But it would be smart to hype up the opponent of the team that you don't really want to face for a third time this year in an elimination game on the anniversary of them eliminating your team from the playoffs a year ago.


 



2 comments:

  1. " At the end of the day its between him and God". That's really the point of all this. Everyone has opinions and that's life. Tebow knows what he's praying about on that sideline. Well, Tebow and God. It doesn't bother me one bit that he prays all the time during games, that's just who he is. It's like the drunk uncle in your family. He is who he is, lol.

    I think that the media has made Tebow up to be this almost super-human character and I am going to hate to see how they will tear him down if something bad happens. Tebow is human like the rest of us ans susceptible to making mistakes like other athletes have made in the past. I hope he's successful but I also hope that he knows for as much as the media has built him up, it'll be the exact opposite if he does something Kobe- or Mike Vick-like off the field or completely starts stinking it up on the field. They won't tear him down AS BAD as they tore those guys down (I won't bring up the underlying issue of race, I won't). But nevertheless, he'll be brought down way quicker than they built him up.

    Now that the Broncos beat the Steelers it's only going to get worse for another week as far as media coverage.

    I don't however, understand why people have so much of a problem with the media coverage and images of him praying. People are on FACEBOOK and Twitter ALL DAY basically screaming for attention and this kid isn't asking for it, he's just in a position where the spotlight will be focused on him. Lots of people want attention and Tebow doesn't even seem to care about it but people are trying to tear the kid down because the media puts the attention on him. That doesn't make sense to me.

    Anyway, I like the Tebow story and I root for him to improve and do well because he seems like a genuinely good (but not perfect) person. How can you hate on that? That's another question. But to a lot of people he represents religion and religion is a polarizing issue and to others they just don't respect his ability to perform his job. But he's obviously working hard to improve that so how can you still hate on the kid. It's kinda ridiculous, lol.

    Anywho, great post and I'm glad Tebow is invoking these kind of conversations and thoughts throughout the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Him praying doesn't bother me at all, he seems like a genuinely good guy and because of that I wish him the best. I'm not going to say he should be the next Montana or Elway. Who he becomes should be up to his determination and work ethic, not what the media wants to make him.

    I think thanks to the media, and them making him the golden boy, almost making his character, dare I say, Christ, saying he performs miracles, the fact that he’s always giving to the people is what makes him praying on the field a big deal. They make it seem as if he’s summoning extra power from God in order to win games. Like he’s praying for wins. Who knows what he’s praying for at that moment. Do they show him praying when he loses, do they make a big deal of it then? Nope its just when a “miraculous” win happens. When did winning a game become miraculous. You win or you lose, someone always has to do one of the two. To me him praying is great, if it were me I’d be saying something like “Lord give me strength and wisdom and protect me from all hurt harm and danger”. But I would say that at the beginning of the game in my locker before we hit the field. But to each his own.

    When or If the day comes that they tear him down its going to be epic, but not good epic. He would have to do something big, maybe even Big Ben like, for him to get torn down to even half the level of Kobe or Vick. But even then they might blame the girl, lol.


    Good reply, by the way.

    ReplyDelete